Who to coordinate with on OpenSceneGraph and related project packaging

charliej cjsmo at cableone.net
Wed Feb 4 20:42:54 GMT 2009

On Wed, 2009-02-04 at 17:09 +0000, Robert Osfield wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Volunteering to help out with OpenSceneGraph related packaging
>
> I've been a Kubuntu user for past two years, but... this is my first
> foray into world of actively contributing to the Ubunutu family, so
> please be patient if I ask the wrong questions in the wrong places -
> just point me in the right direction, I'm up for learning how to fit
> in and contribute with the project processes.
>
> A little background about myself, I'm the project lead of the
> OpenSceneGraph project, which is graphics middle-ware used primarily
> in
> the vis-sim, VR and GIS sectors.  I've been making my living from
> consulting/bespoke dev work on top the OpenSceneGraph for the past 8
> years, and based in Scotland.  I'm a OpenGL/C++/scene graph man, for
> packaging and server admin I've so far deferred to others with more
> expertise in various platforms, so don't have lots of experience in
> this area yet.  I have been using various flavours of unix since the
> late eighties, GNU/Linux in various forms since the late nineties.
>
> Since moving to Kubuntu a couple of years ago,  I've become a keen
> advocate of Kubuntu so feel that it's about time that I helped out try
> to make the Ubutuntu platform better in what ways I can.  My area of
> expertise is OpenSceneGraph, so I'd suggest my greatest use would be
> to help coordinating packaging/bug  ixes etc. relating the
> OpenSceneGraph package.  While I have lots to learn, I would hope that
> I'd be able to help relieve some of the workload of those who have
> currently been manage the OpenSceneGraph and related packaging.
>
> My motivation isn't all just focused on helping out with the Ubuntu
> community, I also want to help present OpenSceneGraph users, and
> projects that use the OpenSceneGraph (such as FlightGear) by making
> sure that Ubuntu has up to date releases and that bug fixes make there
> way in promptly, I believe I can help short cut the
> upstream/downstream disconnect that exists right now and help out both
> communities.  Right now Ubuntu repositories just have
> OpenSceneGraph-2.4.0 which is 9 months old now, there has been plenty
> of bug fixes and feature enhancements since then, to an extent that
> Ubuntu/OSG users typically have to pull down the sources themselves to
> get the best OSG experience, rather than pulling down packages from
> the Ubuntu repositories.   Since 2.4.0 there has been a 2.6.0 and
> 2.6.1 releases (that are debian unstable),

2.6.1-1 is in debian experimental
http://packages.qa.debian.org/o/openscenegraph.html

However you should be able to file a sync request in launchpad against
OpenSceneGraph.  Have a look at

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SyncRequestProcess

On the bug report be sure to subscribe and **not assign** "Ubuntu
Universe Sponsors" to the bug.  Going on IRC freenode #ubuntu-motu
and requesting a MOTU to review/ACK the sync request would also be a
good idea as this quickens things.

Hope this helps

Thanks for contributing to Ubuntu

Charlie