ffmpeg transition: unstripped -> extra (Re: [ubuntu/karmic] xvidcap 1.1.7-0.2ubuntu3 (Accepted))

Stefan Potyra stefan.potyra at informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Mon Aug 31 16:25:26 BST 2009

Hi,

first off sorry, I wanted to have a mail sent about this yesterday already but
didn't come around to it yet :(.

In short: the ffmpeg-extra package has renamed the binary packages
from -unstripped- to -extra-, the -unstripped- ones are only transitional
packages and should no longer be dependend on.

Am Monday 31 August 2009 17:00:14 schrieb Alessio Treglia:
[..]
>   * debian/control:
>     - Add dependency on libavcodec-unstripped-52 to fix LP: #290728.

So that should be libavcodec-extra-52.

For a number of packages that have hard-coded depends/recommends like this
one, I'm not sure if it is always the best choice, as many packages don't
seem to directly make use of ffmpeg symbols. But I didn't complete my
investigations on this yet, so I can't say yet if it still might be the best
solution after all ;). Once I have more findings and a list of packages that
still need to be transitioned, I'll send another mail.

In the case of xvidcap it seems like it's the right thing to add the dep
to -extra- though. Can you update it please?

Thanks,
     Stefan.