Eagerly awaiting REVU (and praying it gets done before Thursday)

Iain Lane laney at ubuntu.com
Tue Aug 25 21:01:31 BST 2009

Hi,

On 25 Aug 2009, at 20:21, Eric Hedekar wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've had dismal luck requesting a revu on IRC, so I thought I'd ask
> on the mailing list.
>
> I'm looking to get
>     http://revu.ubuntuwire.com/p/xjadeo
> into the repositories for Karmic's release.
> Current upload is Lintian free, copyright policy compliant, and in
> good working order.
> Any Motu (hopefully two of you) with a spare second would make my
> day if they were to revu it in time for feature freeze.

It's usually really hard to get In general due to a general lack of
MOTU reviewing time. I would recommend that people try to get their
packages into Ubuntu through Debian via a packaging team.  Some of the
advantages I see of this approach are:

   - Users of both distributions benefit
   - Sponsorship and packaging advice is available from those with
domain specific knowledge
   - Sponsor:sponsoree ratio is much more favourable to getting
packages uploaded, and promotes a close working relationship

(also you will often find Ubuntu developers working in Debian teams
who can upload for you if there's a real need)

Actually, in this case I see that there is a package available on
debian-multimedia[0] and there is an ITP[1]. Did you contact either
marillat or rosea?

I hope you do find some MOTU to review your package in time, but my
advice to you (and others) is to first try Debian unless there is a
good reason to try Ubuntu first. I'm not saying that you should allow
Debian to hold back your Ubuntu work, by the way.

Regards,
Iain

[0] http://www.debian-multimedia.org/dists/stable/main/binary-i386/package/xjadeo.php