RFS: smplayer (updated package)

Cesare Tirabassi norsetto at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 21 09:18:57 BST 2009

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 15:02:58 +0200
Reinhard Tartler <siretart at debian.org> wrote:

> Maia Kozheva <inetperson at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > - It does no harm in Debian as it is, except for debcheck warnings.
> > - mplayer-nogui is available in Ubuntu, and I would rather keep the
> > same package in Debian and Ubuntu.
> > - mplayer-nogui is available in debian-multimedia.org, which many
> > Debian users install mplayer from for extra patent-restricted
> > codecs.
> > - There is a bug report (#523842) in Debian itself to add an
> > mplayer-nogui package, confirmed by one of the maintainers, so I
> > presume an mplayer-nogui package may appear in Debian soon.
>
> I think we really should replace the mplayer package from multiverse
> with the package currently in debian/main.

Since we are on the subject, I'd rather have an mplayer package without
gui (gmplayer is buggy/obsolete and unmaintained, mplayer upstream are
actually recommending it to not be distributed) and, if really
necessary, have an mplayer-gui (or gmplayer) package with the gui alone.
With the excellent stand-alone gui's we have today (smplayer, kmplayer,
gnome-mplayer) this is what makes the most sense.

Cesare