The Mono 2.0 transition (and how to survive it)

Jo Shields directhex at
Thu Nov 20 11:42:49 GMT 2008

On Thu, 2008-11-20 at 06:21 -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 01:02:55 +0000 Jo Shields <directhex at> wrote:
> ...
> >== So I just make a Xubuntu1 package? ==
> >
> >Yes, but there are a few guidelines which will really help with the
> >Ubuntu-Debian relationship:
> >
> ...
> Since we are early in the Jaunty cycle yet, would it be feasible (at least 
> where pkg-mono is Maintainer) for the needed changes to be provided to the 
> team via mail, svn, etc., uploaded to Debian Experimental, and then Ubuntu 
> does a sync from there?

Assuming the NEW delay doesn't cause too many problems (let's say Mono
takes another month from now - that's basically DIF), then YES!
Absolutely. That's the best-case scenario we'd like.

One of my major release goals for Jaunty has been to make Mono itself
syncable - if not for this silly time delay, then it would be the case
right now. The more syncs, the better for everyone.

> This would minimize the Debian/Ubuntu diff, springload Debian for Squeeze, 
> and reduce risk of problems that come up when Ubuntu gets ahead of Debian 
> (such as orig.tar.gz with different md5sum that then has to be fake 
> sync'ed).

That's the plan.

See also the very much in-progress which
shows versions in Sid, Experimental, and Jaunty.

Packages with a Jaunty version but no Sid version are missing from
Debian, and it would be nice if the original uploader could ITP it.
Packages with a XubuntuY version... are your changes not beneficial to
Debian too? Why not push them up while you're at it?

--Jo Shields

More information about the Ubuntu-motu mailing list