Non-MOTU as MOTU Mentors and bad advice

Nicolas Valcárcel nicolas.valcarcel at
Tue Nov 11 14:13:30 GMT 2008

On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 22:39 -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> This is a stunningly bad idea and should stop.  I just finished trying
> to help
> a novice mentee who was trying to upgrade his system to Jaunty because
> his
> mentor told him too.

No, that's not, i completely disgree with that. Most of the MOTU's have
already strong technical skills and they can mentor someone for his MOTU
journey, but if you take a closer look to the programme it has been
splited in 2 "stages", the first one the junior mentor program, which is
basically for starters who wish to became UUC and the senior program
which is for people wanting to became a MOTU.

With that schema we can say that for new starters what is most needed is
an overview of the tools we use (ubuntu-dev-scripts, pbuilder,
launchpad, ubuntuwire, etc...) more than a hard technical guide, that's
why the senior program is for, and for that program mentors need to be
experienced MOTU's.

I also agree that upgrading to jaunty was to much, so i will be really
grateful if you send more information to the us (the mentoring
receptions team) to work on that issues and fix stuff for the future
instead of opening a big conversation on the public lists, as in
security is better to talk with the people that can fix the issues
before they are public.

Nicolas Valcárcel
Security Engineer
Custom Engineering Solutions Group
Canonical OEM Services
Mobile: +51 1 99429 3200
Key fingerprint = BCE4 27A0 D03E 55DE DA2D  BE06 891D 8DEE 6545 97FE
gpg --keyserver --recv-keys 654597FE