Free your merges

Iain Lane laney at ubuntu.com
Sat Nov 8 18:37:48 GMT 2008

Hello all,

Merge time is a time when new contributors can cut their teeth on Ubuntu
development by working through a handy list of packages that need
updating - MoM or DaD.

As you all know, there is a vague policy that one should ping the
previous uploader of a package before working on the merge for it. I
guess that most of you don't really hold any special interest in most of
the packages that have your name next to them on MoM or DaD, and that is
why I am writing this email.

I would like to kindly ask/remind everyone to take five minutes to look
down the list at [0] (and the same for main if appropriate) and if
you're not especially interested in a merge for which you are listed to
say so in the status box next to it. This will allow others to pick up
and do the merge without needing to bother you, and will hopefully help
to speed things along.

I know I waited until DIF was approaching last time before doing a lot
of merges as I did not want to keep bothering people - if there was an
indication that the merges were open I would have been able to do a lot
more earlier on in the cycle.

Thanks,
Iain

[0] http://dad.dunnewind.net/universe.php