Who can get NEW source packages into Ubuntu? (was: Re: REVU - Cleanup of the "Needs Review" section)

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Thu Nov 6 19:07:32 GMT 2008

On Thursday 06 November 2008 13:48, Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Siegfried-Angel wrote:
> > to don't waste time reviewing the packages of those people who we have
> > already lost and who may not come back again, but instead to focus on
>
> I agree with this: we don't want unmaintained packages in Ubuntu. Most of
> the packages have a maintainer in Debian (and there may or may not be
> people in Ubuntu caring for them). But getting new packages directly into
> Ubuntu means we rely on ourselves to completely maintain those packages.
> For some cases that's not a problem, as there will be some developer or a
> team (e.g. Desktop, Kubuntu...) taking care of it. But in other cases, it
> may be possible that we upload a package to the archive some random person
> created and uploaded to REVU, and once it's in the archive he doesn't keep
> maintaining it.
>
> That's a big problem IMHO, and a solution someone proposed would be to
> restrict the 'privilege' of getting new source packages into Ubuntu to
> people who are UUC or in ~ubuntu-dev.
>
> I don't think it's particularly difficult to get UUC status, so if people
> want to contribute, they can start with patches, merges, updates, etc. to
> packages already in the archive (which IMHO it's easier to get involved,
> rather than creating new packages from scratch).
>
> What do people think about that?

Personally, I'm fine with it, but it will definitely change the perception
that Ubuntu is friendly to new people.  I think it might be better to keep
this sort of a general guideline ("Although it's not required, it's generally
better to help out and get UCD status before doing new packages as MOTU tend
to focus their attention on packages done by known people.") and not make it
a 'rule'.

Scott K