REVU - Cleanup of the "Needs Review" section

Siegfried-Angel siggi.gevatter at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 15:00:55 GMT 2008

2008/11/4 Onkar Shinde <onkarshinde at gmail.com>:
> 2. Improvement to REVU
> [...] there is no easy way to select the packages for review. [..] But
> currently I can not just take a look at REVU and know which packages
> fit into the criteria.

Yeah, that's indeed a problem about which I've thought more than once
(but not enough, as nobody complained about it before you :P).

> I can download diff.gz for the package, extract it and then
> check control file to see build dependencies but then it will be
> tiresome after some time.

You can browse the files on REVU without downloading anything, btw.

> So if there was a way to add keywords to the package it will make life
> easy for reviewers. If this was automated even better. I will be glad
> if REVU simply told me what the build dependencies of the package are
> by extracting them from control file.

Tags is something I considered, but didn't pursue because I'm unsure
about their actual usefulness (see Launchpad ^^).

However, I've just though about this now and I think it's actually a
good idea. Having a limited set of tags *and* automation (so that when
a package is imported it is tagged automatically but people can add
and remove tags after that) could work.

What do you think about this solution and, if you're happy with it, do
you think anyone should be able to modify tags or only the uploader +
moderators + reviewers? Finally, could you suggest a list of tags and
ways how to automatically find packages for them?

Here are some possible ones that I've just come up with right now:

python
----------
 - The name of at least one binary package starts with "python-".
 - Or, "python-distutils.mk" is included into debian/rules.
 - Section: python
 - Some other way? (Checking the dependencies isn't a good option as
non-python applications can include scripts/etc written in Python and
so depend on it).

library
 - Source or binary package in section "libs".

perl
---------
 - Binary package name ending with "-perl".

Ubuntu Developer. Debian Contributor.