REVU - Cleanup of the "Needs Review" section

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Sun Nov 2 15:39:46 GMT 2008

On Sun, 2008-11-02 at 09:56 -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 09:42:46 +0000 Kasper Peeters
> <kasper.peeters at aei.mpg.de> wrote:
> >> I'm pondering on running a script to move all those which don't have
> >> "jaunty" in debian/copyright to the "Needs work" section, leaving a
> >> comment asking to change it to "jaunty", check the standards version
> >> and some general recommendations (or perhaps just a link to a new wiki
> >> page), so that we get ride of all those packages whose author isn't
> >> coming back or which still need work anyway. I do understand that this
> >> could be annoying for some users, though, so I'm asking here to hear
> >> some more thoughts. Does anyone have strong objections to this?
>
> I'm still in favor unless someone has a better idea on how to find out what
> packages still have interest from the packager.

Hi,

I had another idea after my last mail: only open REVU for part of the
cycle.

REVU opens on the day after we release, with a clean state, and people
are encouraged to propose packages for the next release, with a
rationale. We then start reviewing them, and uploading the ones that
are suitable.

When we hit Feature Freeze REVU is closed, and all packages are
archived, with a message saying something like "Your package did not
make it this time, try again next cycle".

Yes, new packages are sometimes accepted after Feature Freeze, so we
could extend the deadline somewhat, or just have alternative
arrangements for those special cases.

What do you think?

Thanks,

James