mplayer should be moved to universe

John Dong jdong at ubuntu.com
Fri May 30 14:53:35 BST 2008

That is my strongly held opinion on this matter... mencoder's our last
uncastrated encoder suite in the Ubuntu repositories (we lost ffmpeg in the
quest to bring it to main, though AFAIK it still has the mpeg4 encoder for
some reason, but that's a discussion for another day), and I believe it's in
our best interest to keep this in multiverse, unless we have a smoother
officially sanctioned migration path for people who require the encoding
abilities.

This is, though a good discussion for us to start having: How should we
address situations like this and ffmpeg? For ffmpeg, many users are turning
towards Medibuntu repositories, which builds with DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS+=risky,
which enables the encoders. Whether or not we like it idealogically, there
are going to be users that require dealing with restricted formats.

John