wanted: motu-sru members

Stefan Potyra sistpoty at ubuntu.com
Fri May 23 18:23:25 BST 2008

Hi,

Am Freitag 23 Mai 2008 18:53:25 schrieb Scott Kitterman:
> > Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:
> >> What is the benefit of 2) ? Can't the MOTU team do the selection in the
> >> voting?
> >> If there's some people motu-sru would remove, I would hope for the MOTU
> >> team to
> >> remove them too in the voting.
> >
> >     The large benefit of allowing the existing members of motu-sru to
> > select amoung the volunteers is to ensure that the team works well
> > together.  If there is a removal with which MOTU disagree, such
> > objection ought be raised in response to the motu-sru publication of
> > the candidates.

heh, yeah... and since my request is for additional members to an existing
team, I guess it's polite to ask them.

> >     While I can't be entirely sure, I suspect there will be time
> > between the publication of the slate of candidates and MOTU Council
> > configuring the appropriate polls for selection.
>
> I am strongly opposed to pre-selection.  We have had cases in the past
> where a non-transparent pre-selection process resulted in a very limited
> and from the perspective of at least a significant slice of the community
> very unsuitable set of choices.

Ok, let me make s.th. clear: My proposal so far is aimed at *one* particular
goal. To get motu-sru back to full strength *now*.

It is *not* meant as a general policy for handling membership for motu
key-teams. As Emilio noted in the gobby document, we need a good general
policy, and I fully support this idea.

However for this particular case (and that's why I didn't write s.th. about a
MOTU vote in my initial mail), I just don't expect that there will be much to
discuss. So far, only Stephan volunteered (thanks!), so unless more people
will also volunteer, there won't be even much to vote about ;).

So maybe we can agree to the following:
- everyone volunteering to back up motu-sru please reply in this thread
- in one week (Friday, 30th of May), we'll see how many applicants we have
- and then we'll decide how to proceed, and if s.th. is worthwhile to vote on
(which I really don't expect so far, but I hope you all prove me wrong by
volunteering for motu-sru ;)).

And for the general discussion about membership in key teams: I'll start a new
thread about that, so please use that thread instead. (hah, so at least I
invented a new tongue twister *g*.)

Cheers,
    Stefan.