contributions

Reinhard Tartler siretart at ubuntu.com
Sat May 17 16:46:47 BST 2008

Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com> writes:

> Personally I'd find a file a bug first rule very demotivating.  One more rule
> to convince me to spend my time on other things.

Could you please elaborate here? What specifically is the annoying part
of filing a bug? Possible reasons I can image:

 a) Too cumbersomely
 b) The round-trip time is too high that make duplicate work more likely
 c) the use of lp restricts possible contributors
 d) The complete list of outstanding merges must be easily visible.

For a), I image that we can craft scripts a la 'request-sync.py'.

For b), I don't really beleive that is really a problem. If someone
notices a duplicate bug, he can surely mark it as such and coordinate
the contributors (may them be Ubuntu Developers or not).

For c), Yes, managing LP do require a LP account. I don't think it is
really unreasonable to force contributors to have one as well.

For d), I think this can be solved technically by launchpad tags, and a
scraper that presents all bugs tagged 'needs-merge' or something
somewhere on http://people.ubuntu{,wire}.com

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4