contributions

Stephan Hermann sh at sourcecode.de
Wed May 14 07:11:52 BST 2008

Moins,

On Mon, 12 May 2008 19:51:47 -0500
"Nicolas Valcarcel" <nvalcarcel at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>     Since hardy i have notice that some times contributions are not
> taking into account, mostly on merges. For MOTUs and core devels is
> not needed to file a bug since it's only needed to upload the
> package, but some times, a contributor, which need to file a bug,
> upload his debdiff and ask for sponsorship, make the work for
> nothing, becase one developer (no one in special) work on that merge
> and upload it. I think is not fair, and discourage for new
> contributor, so i think it lack for a common process where this
> things doesn't happen.

I read now the whole thread about this issue...
I think there are two problems here:

1. Dev/Contributor should work as first duty on the packages he/she
touched the last time. Therefore, the dev/contributor don't have to
check for merge/sponsor bugs in the first place.
2. LP is hard to track to. Regarding, that we don't have special
maintainers for packages, you can't track all the time the status or
new bugs of all packages/bugs filed at LP. Yes, it sometimes sad for
the contributor...but the easiest way is to go online and ping someone
for checking.

I, for myself, don't check for the packages I touched last for bugs,
because it takes too much time...and time for bugfixing and other
things can be done, after I checked if the package I touched last is a
sync or merge...

Regards,

\sh