ubuntu flashplugin-nonfree

Sebastian Marketsmueller smarkets at adobe.com
Wed May 7 18:04:29 BST 2008

Hi,

  I am a flash player dev at adobe and hoping to make the ubuntu + flash
installation experience better (after that slashdot article with the ubuntu
girlfriend :)). What I am seeing right now is that ubuntu provides a flash
nonfree install through the package management system which works quite
well: if I try to open a swf on a webpage the installation is painless and
straightforward. Unfortunately sites like youtube direct people to adobe.com
for getting their flash player from there through javascript instead of
letting the browser figure out a plugin installation process. On our
download page we do not have a .deb package yet, so confusion ensues. Now we
could just add our own .deb package for download there, but I believe that
the right thing would be to point people to the ubuntu managed deb so they
get a consistent install that also gets updated. So my questions are:
- any good ideas on how we can best achieve that? (we could always just put
up a link on our download page: click here for ubuntu)
- is there some way we can help you with your own deb, stuff that makes
things easier for you?

Thanks,

Sebastian