packaging libraries

Kai-Cheung Leung kcleung at users.sourceforge.net
Sat May 3 06:43:58 BST 2008

Now I would like to package opennurbs-4.0

It has a simple makefile that takes no configurable options, which uses
its internal zlib and compiles into a single static file libopenNURBS.a

For Ubuntu, obviously I need to use the system zlib provided by Ubuntu
instead, and I would also want makefile to make both static as well as
dynamic (.so) versions of libopenNURBS

How can I do that?  Is it okay if I replace the Makefile with my own
makefile? I know I am not supposed to do that.  Otherwise how can I bypass
the provided Makefile completely and specify what I want in debian/rules?

Thanks!