Ubuntu Open Week is coming!

Stani spe.stani.be at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 12:42:57 GMT 2008

Daniel Holbach schreef:
> Hello everybody,
>
> as you can see on https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuOpenWeek/Prep the
> planning of Ubuntu Open Week has started. I suggest the following
> sessions this time:
>  - General MOTU Introduction with Q&A
>  - Packaging 101 (double session)
>  - a session of merging (useful given that the new release cycle will be
> about to start)
>
> This will be another excellent opportunity for us to inform new
> contributors of what we're doing and how they can help us out.
>
> Do you have additional ideas what we should demonstrate there? Would you
> like to (co-) host one of the sessions?

Hi,
I have a new idea for the Ubuntu Open Week.What I always would have like
to see was a session in which is learned how to package a simple python
"hello world" program with a dependency (eg pygtk) and a data file (eg
image).

This session would try to attract fresh blood of python developers
towards Ubuntu/Debian. So it should be very python specific: introducing
for example PAPT (Python Applications Packaging Team), python-central,
etc... In order to give this publicity outside the Ubuntu community we
could announce it on the python announce mailing list, but also on other
such as the wxpython mailing list where the question "how do I package
for Ubuntu" also pops up from time to time. (For example
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.wxpython/52737/match=debian+dabo+hell)

I don't have sufficient knowledge to host such a session, but pochu
volunteered to do it and added it to the wiki. I could help translating
this session to a wiki MOTU tutorial for which I think there is a high
demand.

Right now I feel the threshold for new python developers is too high
(especially for those who only know Python but not C or C++). For Hardy
I have worked together with POX, Pochu, Scott, Stefano and others to
package SPE and Phatch. I really liked the experience and if I would
have known what I have learned with this, I would have started
collaborating with MOTU much earlier.

So the goal for this idea is two fold:
- attract new python developers to ubuntu (from inside and outside the
community)
- have a clear tutorial tailored for python developers

If this is proven successful it could be organized for other (scripting)
languages as well.

What do you think?

Stani
--