About forwarding bugs and patches to Debian and documenting your changes

Lucas Nussbaum lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net
Wed Jun 18 22:22:20 BST 2008

On 18/06/08 at 21:22 +0200, Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:
> Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> > I didn't mean that there should be one wiki page per package. Only that
> > there should be one wiki page (or one section on the same wiki page) for
> > each class of change. In the case of libext-dev, there was probably at
> > least 20 packages affected by that change, where the exact same patch
> > (add libext-dev to build-deps) was needed.
>
> For big transitions or things like this, IMHO I think it's better to do a MBF in
> the BTS if that's going to affect Debian as well.

The problem is that sometimes, Ubuntu transitions earlier (or does
transitions that Debian doesn't even consider -- think of /var/run). In
that case, a MBF in Debian won't be useful, because the Debian
maintainers might simply ignore the bugs.

> And when it's specific to one
> package, it would be overkilling to put it in the wiki. The changelog should
> explain it.
>
> So I agree with you in that Ubuntu changes should be better documented, but I
> don't like the wiki idea.

I agree that a wiki page should only be used for big transitions, not for
every small change. I now realize it wasn't clear earlier, sorry.
--
| lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net   http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/ |
| jabber: lucas at nussbaum.fr             GPG: 1024D/023B3F4F |