About forwarding bugs and patches to Debian and documenting your changes

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Wed Jun 18 09:44:01 BST 2008

<lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net>

>> > I didn't knew about that page and i'm sure a lot of people doesn't know
>> > also, are you interested on helping me dive into wiki pages to write a
>> > complete document with all of them and then try to spread the word
about
>> > it/them? Did someone want to help?
>>
>> We have https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ContributingToDebian that would
presumably be
>> the right place to start.
>
>I disagree: the change I'm suggesting is not about "being nice to
>Debian". If you improve the documentation of your changes, you will
>help yourself (Ubuntu) first. Almost two years ago, I proposed to switch
>from a simple "Merged with Debian" entry in changelog, to listing the
>various changes in the top changelog entry[0]. I think this was a
>success, and this only pushes things further.

I agree that was a success and a very good change for Ubuntu.

As an Ubuntu developer (that's generally familiar with where to find bugs
in Launchpad and BTS), I don't see a lot of benefit within Ubuntu for this
last lot of suggestions.  Getting more stuff from Ubuntu back into Debian
does benefit Ubuntu, but I don't think better debian/changelogs in Ubuntu
will help much..

In my experience, reactions to the diff available on PTS are rare.  If I
want something feed back to Debian, I almost invariably have to put a bug
in BTS with the patch.  I can explain the rationale there.

Scott K