MOTU Decision Making Process

Emmet Hikory persia at ubuntu.com
Tue Jun 17 13:51:37 BST 2008

Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> I think the last rule can or should imply that the council has the
> option to call for vote.
>
> The shepard always has the possibilty to recommend a vote to the
> council. If that is the case, the council would kinda have to call for
> votes, or at least have a very good explanation for not calling for
> votes.

    One of the powers granted the council is the ability to make a
decision if otherwise no progress would be made.  In the case of a
controversial decision for which any given decision making process
doesn't work, I'd argue that this general grant is sufficient
coverage.  Whether the council determines that the decision will be
taken by vote, by fiat, by appeal to another body (e.g. the technical
board), or by other means is likely best resolved on a case-by-case
basis, at the time that the decision must be taken.

    That said, if a decision is not taken, and council does not
provide guidance on how the decision is to be taken, all MOTU are
encouraged to pressure council to take such a decision (while there
remains consensus that consensus has not been achieved for the issue
at hand).  Similarly, if a decision is taken, and there is a
sufficient body of disagreement, there is likely value in further
discussion as a result of the decision.

--
Emmet HIKORY