policy for membership in MOTU key teams

Jordan Mantha laserjock at ubuntu.com
Wed Jul 2 14:45:08 BST 2008

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 4:29 AM, Cody A.W. Somerville
<cody-somerville at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 6:21 PM, Emilio Pozuelo Monfort <pochu at ubuntu.com>
> wrote:
<looooong snip>

I think that Cody's really got some good thoughts going on here and
I'd like to thank him and Emilio for working on this. My view is
simply:

1) 2 release, rolling terms is good (i.e. 1/2 of the members are
elected each release). New blood is good, but it needs to be tempered
with experience. We want new people to re-energize teams and have a
chance to "learn the ropes" but these teams are also very important to
the quality of our processes so we shouldn't take them lightly either.

2) STV + droop quota is a very nice voting system. It is fairly
accurate to how I would *like* to vote in that I very very rarely want
to vote against somebody, I just prefer some candidates over others
for the job at hand. STV also seems fairly simple as voting systems
go, especially when trying to fill multiple positions.

3) I'd rather the MOTU Council stay out of filling positions and just
work on conflict resolution and MOTU/Universe Contributor memberships.
I would let the existing team figure out how best to proceed if
members are lost mid-stream, as they know their situation best. Either
then can make it with the members they have,  call for a quick
election, or make an interim appointment.

-Jordan