haskell transition

Stefan Potyra sistpoty at ubuntu.com
Sun Jan 13 16:13:12 GMT 2008

Hi folks,

as of right now, we've got a new ghc6 version (6.8) in universe. Since all
haskell libraries depend on the specific ghc6 version, all of these currently
have unmet dependencies and need to be rebuilt. Some are possibly not
compatible to the new compiler, and hence need manual adjustment or new
upstream versions.

apt-cache -i unmet | grep ghc6 should give a rough working list.

Fortunately, Debian is doing this transition at the moment as well, so we can
hopefully sync as many libraries as possible from unstable.

Some hints:
Most library packages use either haskell-devscripts or haskell-utils to set
the dependencies against ghc6.

Packages using haskell-devscripts should pick up the new dependencies
automatically when building.

For packages that use haskell-utils, make sure to have ghc6 and haskell-utils
installed. Run update-haskell-control in the package directory to regenerate
the control file from control.in with the newer ghc6 dependencies.

If you have a haskell library, that (build-)depends on another haskell
library, please also ensure that this dependency is versioned, to at least
require the rebuilt version of the library. Otherwise it might get rebuilt in
the wrong order, which might even succeed but results in a broken package.
(some packages also have versioned build-depends on ghc6 set, to achieve the
same effect).

P.S.: Before starting, haskell-utils and haskell-devscripts need to be synced
from unstable, but I guess that this will happen very soon (bug #182505 and
bug #182522).

Cheers,
  Stefan.