Please think before you send bugs to Debian

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Thu Feb 7 07:24:53 GMT 2008

On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 08:10:20 +0100 Daniel Holbach
<daniel.holbach at ubuntu.com> wrote:

>Hello Scott,
>
>Scott Kitterman schrieb:
>> Recently I was informed by a DD that I often work with about an odd bug
that
>> one of my fellow MOTUs had filed.  Apparently this person had thought it
>> would be good to suggest the Debian Maintainer incorporate the Ubuntu
>> specific changes in his package.
>>
>> While this is generally good, in this case the change was to remove the
>> iceweasel symlinks from the package.
>>
>> This would, of course, have made the package quite broken in Debian.
>>
>> Please think before you send bugs to Debian.  It's great for
inter-distro
>> relations when we can send them good fixes that make life easier for
Debian.
>> Stuff like this doesn't help and all and reinforces negative stereotypes
that
>> are all to common in Debian.
>
>Thanks for this reminder. Maybe we can codify that somewhere in the
>wiki. Also the use of submittodebian (ubuntu-dev-tools package) should
>be encouraged.

Go for it.  Since the reorganization, I can never tell where things should
go.

>> P.S. Imagine how much fun we're going to have with this kind of thing
once
>> Launchpad implements one click bug forwarding to Debian.
>
>If you want your specific concerns about future feature implementation
>to be answered or addressed, why don't you choose a forum where
>Launchpad developers can answer the question?

Already had the conversation.  I didn't get very far with it.  No point in
repeating the frustration again.

>All open systems have the problem that they could be tampered with. As
>somebody who did a lot of Desktop bug triage, I know that a lot of
>people will see simple-bug-forwarding as beneficial.

I'm guessing most of these people will be the senders of the bugs.  Not the
recipients.  I know how I've felt about getting nonsense bugs from Baltix.

>A few things TTBOMK:
> - the upstream bug tracker people will need to opt in
> - the use of the "forward now" button will not be accessible in the UI
>to everybody by default

Those are good to hear.  That's not how it looked last I heard (it's been a
while).

Scott K