Changing Eclipse default JVM

John Dong jdong at ubuntu.com
Tue Feb 5 02:25:13 GMT 2008

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 01:13:21AM +0100, Malte Wehrend wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Would it be possible  to change the default JVM in future releases of Eclipse
> (in the file /etc/eclipse/java_home )  to a JVM from sun (if installed, if
> not display a hint ), instead of the gcj ?
> Because it is really annoying that some (important) plugins i. e. subclipse
> did not work correctly with the gcj-jvm.
> After changing the default-JVM into a sun-JVM it works perfect :).
>
> I know that the sun-jvm at the moment is not as open as the gcj , but if some
> plugins did not work, it is relatively senseless.
That would cause Eclipse to be demoted to Multiverse status, along with
everything that uses SWT and the other stuff that eclipse provides.

Given that, I don't think this would be likely to happen, though I agree
with you that
(1) it's unfortunate that plugin doesn't work for you
(2) eclipse should probably respect the java alternative or otherwise
make it more obvious to switch JVMs

-John