Problems with Cernlib-2006

Kevin B. McCarty kmccarty at debian.org
Wed Dec 10 21:05:23 GMT 2008

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 1:37 AM, Angelo Graziosi
<Angelo.Graziosi at roma1.infn.it> wrote:

> Kevin,
>
> your test case works just fine, both on Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy and on Cygwin,
> with GV and GSView.
[...]
> It looks that the 'slightly' changes 'before incorporating it into Cernlib
> 2006' have introduced a regression.

OK.  Thanks for testing.  I will try to revert the state of the code
to what it was with (Cernlib 2005 + Frank Dohrmann's patch).  I'll
include this in the next upload of Cernlib to Debian Sid.  I can't
guarantee that said upload will make it into the next Debian stable
release (Lenny).

> So, may I expect an update of Cernlib 2006 on Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy?

For this you would need to ask the Ubuntu folks.  I do not give it
very good odds, since the policy of updating stable releases (in
Debian and, as far as I know in Ubuntu) is that a bug has to be fairly
serious (e.g. security issue or program crashes) to outweigh the risks
of introducing new code into a stable release.

You can certainly download the Ubuntu source package for Hardy, apply
the patch, and rebuild to obtain your own packages ... the comments at
http://people.debian.org/~kmccarty/cernlib/faq.html#22 apply.  In
particular you'll want to issue the "fakeroot debian/rules patch"
command BEFORE editing the source code yourself and then running
"fakeroot debian/rules binary".  (Unless you want to play with
dpatch.)

Note 2: if you are running PAW and Geant321 on an x86_64 (amd64)
system, you'll also need to rebuild the PAW package against the new
Cernlib packages since PAW is statically linked on 64-bit systems.

> Where can I find that patch before the 'slightly' changes, so I can apply
> it to my Cygwin builds?

I'll send you a patch this evening that reverts Cernlib 2006 back to
the state of (Cernlib 2005 + patch).

--
Kevin B. McCarty <kmccarty at gmail.com>
WWW: http://www.starplot.org/