Developer News

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Tue Dec 2 22:34:02 GMT 2008

On Fri, 2008-11-21 at 00:24 +0000, James Westby wrote:
> The idea is that small items are collected, and then periodically
> sent to debian-devel-announce as one mail.
>   https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment/News

We forgot the MOTU meeting last week, but I'm happy to go ahead
without a discussion at a meeting about this. There was no clear
consensus on the way to do this, so we'll be using the news-team
mailing list.

I've converted the above wiki page in to a guide of how to
submit items. The steps are:

* Write a draft of the item. Typically it will be 1-3 paragraphs with
  links for more information. It doesn't have to be perfect.
  * Send the item to ubuntu-news-team at lists.ubuntu.com starting the
  subject with "[Developer]"
  * Maybe work with the editors to provide some more information or
  clarify some things.
  * If the item is time sensitive then you can state this, but in that
  case it may be best to send it yourself.

so it's really easy to do it. Get submitting. Things of interest would
be:

* Upcoming or completed transitions, major new versions or new
  packages in the archive.
* Success at things like triaging all bugs for a particular set of
  packages, or fixing all build failures on an architecture.
* Availability of a new tool in ubuntu-dev-tools that may save people
  some time.
* Summaries of mailing list discussions.
* Events in Debian that may be of interest.

For instance, a summary of the "Fortify build failures" and "libtool
updates" threads, and something about the mono 2.0, firefox 3.1 and
OpenOffice.org 3.0 transitions would be a good place to start.

I would also like others to join me to "edit" the newsletter. This
is a simple job described on the wiki page. Give me a shout if you
would like to help.

Thanks,

James