mailscanner packager

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Wed Apr 30 06:35:11 BST 2008

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 10:51:49 +1000 (EST) Res <res at ausics.net> wrote:
>Hi,
>Who ever this is, I suggest they take the time to actually be on the
>mailscanner list, the default 'apt-get install mailscanner' is completely
>broken, was that ever tested?

It was tested when it was uploaded and worked.  Some other thing changed in
the meantime.  I've been discussing this with the mailscanner developer and
will likely have a patch for testing shortly.

>It is also over a year old version you provide, with many many stable
>enhancements since. When a version of mailscanner is called stable, it is
>stable, and suitable and is used in  many very large production
environments,
>please do not folow the old debian trait of new releases with ancient
software.

There are fewer than 100 developers virtually all volunteers working on the
Universe section of Ubuntu.  This section has over 10,000 packages in it
and so most are used from Debian unchanged.  Packages with developers that
are particularly interested in them get the most attention from us
volunteers.

Hostile, accusatory mail tends to make us rather less motivated than more.
If you'd like to see mailscanner better maintained, you are welcome to join
us and help out.

Scott K

P.S. Many of us also work in Debian, so throwing stones in that direction
doesn't tend to win you a lot of friends either.