Coin3d libraries update...

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Fri Apr 18 10:17:15 BST 2008

On Thu, 2008-04-17 at 20:46 +0200, Bruno Jobard wrote:
> Dear Coin3d packages maintainers,
>
> Could you please update these packages to their last versions. The
> source code can be found here:
> ftp://ftp.coin3d.org/pub/coin/src/

Hi,

As the release is in less than a week it's a little too late to be
updating libraries at this point I expect.

If you file wishlist bugs against the packages in Debian asking for
the new versions then they will be imported to Ubuntu when they
are updated in Debian.

> Tell us if there is a mean for helping you accomplish this foreseen update.

Are any of your developers or prominent users Ubuntu users? Would anyone
be willing to invest the time to keep the packages up to date in
Ubuntu, and to watch the bug reports? Another alternative would be
to offer to help the Debian maintainer, and let Ubuntu gain the
fruits of that work.

In the future you would stand a much better chance of getting up to
date packages in to a release if you started the process earlier. The
next release will open for development in a month or so, and then start
to tighten up about 3 months after that. If you were to find someone to
do the updates in that timeframe things would go much more smoothly. Do
you have a regular release schedule for the libraries?

Thanks,

James