Changes to the Universe Development team structure

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Fri Apr 4 20:47:12 BST 2008

First, as previously discussed and I believe now agreed, there are a number of
items in this plan that go beyond what the MOTU have collectively agreed to.
The plan should not be implemented until it's been discussed and agreed by a
vote of the present MOTU at at MOTU meeting.

I think that the initial release of this structure should be minimalist with
features added as we go.  The think the criteria should be the same as the
normal Ubuntu Member criteria with an added caveat about activity being in
MOTU.  The primary initial benifit would be not having to wait in line at the
CC to get approved.

On Thursday 03 April 2008 10:07, Emmet Hikory wrote:
>     In recognition of the growing number of developers, a new
> development team is being introduced to provide further granularity of
> entitlements within Ubuntu Development: the Universe Hackers (Ubuntu
> Contributing Developers) (1).  This team is intended to include all
> who have been actively involved with universe development for some
> time, have provided significant contributions, and have a sustained
> commitment to the development community.

Hacker is a word with a lot of different connotations.  I think we should pick
a clearer name.  My proposals would be:

1.  Ubuntu Universe Members
2.  Ubuntu Universe Sponsored Developers

Either would be clear and professinal sounding.

>     All current MOTU have been added to this team (indirectly), and
> new members are encouraged to apply by sending mail to
> motu-council at lists.ubuntu.com with a reference to their updated wiki
> page, indications of other current team members willing to sponsor
> their membership, and their plans for future activity.  Applicants are
> expected to meet the following criteria:
>
> * Have been working with Ubuntu development for some time, with a
> number of bugs fixed in the archives

The new member how to refers to "recognition of a significant and sustained
contribution".  I think those are good words.  I think bugs fixed is a narrow
focus.  My recomendation is:

* Have been working with Ubuntu development for some time, with a record of
of significant and sustained positive contribution

> * Have a close working relationship with other members of the Ubuntu
> community
> * Have a clear plan for future activity
> * Have updated their wiki page to meet the criteria listed on
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NewMemberHowto
>
>     While the specific entitlements granted to this team are still
> expanding, the intent is to allow most development activities that do
> not specifically require upload to the archives or extensive
> experience with package management to be performed by members of this
> team.  In addition to other efforts underway, I would like to
> encourage anyone maintaining a VCS for Ubuntu packaging of a universe
> package to consider using this team in place of ~ubuntu-dev as a
> source of acceptable committers.  Further, if anyone has any specific
> suggestions of other entitlements that should properly belong to this
> team, please reply here, or raise in a MOTU Meeting.

This should all be deferred.  Initially entitlements should be identical to
Ubuntu Member entitlements.  Let's not confuse things to much.  From the
linked wiki page:

Membership entitles you to the following benefits:

    * An @ubuntu.com e-mail alias that forwards to your real e-mail - the
email-address will be set up automatically and will be based on your main
Launchpad ID: [MAILTO] your_launchpad_id at ubuntu.com. All email arriving at
said address will be forwarded to the primary email address listed for your
profile in Launchpad. You can test if it is active by sending yourself some
mail, from time to time.
    * An ubuntu/member/your_nick hostname IRC cloak on freenode - See [WWW]
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IrcTeam/Cloaks
    * The right to print business cards with the Ubuntu logo - The business
cards can be found at the BusinessCards page, you will need to take care of
the printing yourself.
    * Syndication on Planet Ubuntu of your Ubuntu blog or the Ubuntu category
posts in your blog, if you have one. Follow [WWW] the registration
instructions to have your posts syndicated on Planet Ubuntu.

This is not a competition with the CC or other membership granting bodies to
make our membership more attractive.  We should start out with the exact same
benifits.

This is an entirely separate issue and should not be conflated with the
membership issue:

>     Along with this new team, the previous Contributors of packages
> for ubuntu universe team (ubuntu-universe-contributors) is undergoing
> a rename to "Universe Code Monkeys" (~universe-code-monkeys), and a
> transition is planned for existing members to expire after six months
> have passed.  All members of the Universe Hackers and all Ubuntu
> Developers will remain members, and anyone whose membership expires
> will be welcome to rejoin (although those working on packaging for
> greater than six months are definitely encouraged to become Universe
> Hackers).  This should significantly reduce the REVU keyring sync
> delay, and may grant other entitlements in the future.

I think expiration makes sense and would be in favor of it if it came up at a
meeting.

About the renaming: No.  Please $DEITY No.

Scott K