More granular LP permissions

Emilio Pozuelo Monfort pochu at ubuntu.com
Fri Apr 4 15:38:19 BST 2008

Stephan Hermann wrote:
> Daniel Holbach wrote:
>>
>> Stephan Hermann schrieb:
>>
>>> Personally, I'm missing some more fine granulated permissions for users
>>> and teams, regarding bug working on LP.
>>> Means, (as an example) giving the right for adding tasks without having
>>> some other guy to approve, I don't think it's good to do that with
>>> inheriting the "bug control team".
>>> I think it would make more sense, to "force" LP Devs, means Canonical as
>>> driving force behind LP,  to implement a useful permission system, where
>>> the teamlead can give or take special rights from a user or even a
>>> "sub-team".
>>>
>> AFAIK Everybody can add a task to a bug. Can you elaborate or do you
>> have a different example?

I think Daniel was referring to adding bug tasks (e.g. adding a metacity task to
a bug in gtk+). That's what I was thinking in the beginning too :)

> Everybody can add tasks, right, but they have to be approved by members
> in special teams (e.g. ubuntu-dev).

Here I guess you mean adding tasks for Gutsy/Feisty...? If so, that's right, I
think only ~ubuntu-dev can do so for packages in universe/multiverse, and
~ubuntu-core-dev for main/restricted. Those teams are specified in Uploaders at
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu

> Giving those people (those -> contributors which are not ready for
> ubuntu-dev status, but are able to do the right things) the rights to
> add tasks which are then already approved, is great.
> That's also an appreciation towards those contributors. (Only Regarding
> Universe/Multiverse Stuff, not Main/Restricted)
>> Let's file bugs on LP for those cases where applicable.
>>
> I think there are some wishlist reports already filed about a more
> granular permission concept, if not, let's do it together and formulate
> a clear proposal.

If there's a need for this we could schedule a session for this at UDS

Emilio