future of the Ubuntu Packaging Guide

Jordan Mantha mantha at ubuntu.com
Wed Sep 12 19:10:20 BST 2007

Hi all!

After some discussion with Daniel Holbach and Matthew East I would
like to propose that the Ubuntu Packaging Guide be moved from the Doc
Team repo/website to the wiki.

Here are some reasons for doing so:
 * the packaging guide has been essentially unmaintained for a couple
releases now. There are a lot of things I would have liked to have
done but just have no time for. There are only so many
people,especially devs, who are willing to learn docbook, etc.
 * I am a firm believer that the Ubuntu Packaging Guide should be a
community project where the people who are actually packaging are
doing the writing
 * it needs good technical review from developers
 * as Ubuntu develops the Packaging Guide will naturally need to be
adapted to new policies and procedures.
 * all the other development documentation is on the wiki (MOTU docs
and UbuntuDevelopment)

The disadvantages I see are:
  * we probably won't have a nice printable version for a while
(moin->PDF or moin->1 HTML page is not easy)
  * since the wiki is editable to anyone ( usually a good thing) there
is the possibility of people doing bad things, either accidentally or
maliciously, to the packaging guide.

So, my current plan is to "import" the packaging guide to the wiki
(probably using the wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide namespace)
hopefully sometime before UDS-Boston. I will probably need lots of
help cleaning up the wiki pages after the automatic docbook->moin
conversion.

Thoughts?

-Jordan Mantha