Packaging question with regards to debian/changelog

Soren Hansen soren at ubuntu.com
Tue Sep 11 08:16:04 BST 2007

On Tue, Sep 11, 2007 at 12:44:58PM +1200, Daniel Miles wrote:
> I'm working on a PPA archive on launchpad for the smplayer media
> player. I would like to support multiple distributions of Ubuntu (at
> the moment, dapper and feisty, adding gutsy after release). The debian
> packaging guide says that the correct way to do this is to have the
> changelog in this form, where multiple distributions are separated
> with a space:

Do you have a reference to that? It sounds quite odd to me.

> smplayer (0.5.56~PPA1) dapper feisty gutsy; urgency=low
>
> However, the ubuntu build system rejects this as it cannot build for
> distribution 'dapper feisty gutsy'. Is there a way to achieve this without
> uploading a different package for each distribution?

No :)  You see,  if you put "dapper", your package will be built in a
dapper environment (toolchain, supporting libraries, etc.).  When it's
built, it's put into a pool of packages which is shared among all the
different distributions in your PPA. Now, if your package was built for
dapper, feisty, and gutsy, the resulting binary packages would have the
same name, but different contents, which will not work, since they would
all be in the same directory. You need to upload it for all three
distributions and with individual names (just add "dapper1" to the end
of the version string.

--
Soren Hansen
Ubuntu Server Team