Review of wine 0.9.44 on revu.tauware.de

Stephan Hermann sh at sourcecode.de
Thu Sep 6 07:35:54 BST 2007

Moins

Stefan Potyra wrote:
> Hi Stephan,
>
> Am Mittwoch 05 September 2007 20:28:11 schrieb Stephan Hermann:
>
>> Good Evening MOTUs, Hi Scott,
>>

> [..]
>
>> Therefore, what I suggest is the following:
>>
>> Updating debian/control:
>>
>> Today, we have two binary packages, wine and wine-dev.
>> I would like to see the two packages containing the native versions of
>> wine,
>> means package: wine on 32bit systems == 32bit windows, package: wine
>> on 64bit systems == 64bit  windows ( when wine can be compiled with
>> --enable-win64).
>> For 32bit windows wine version on 64bit, I would like to see wine32
>> and wine32-dev.
>> Those packages are only created for 64bit archs (I wonder if this is
>> possible on our buildds, saying that those packages are only be build
>> when arch: amd64)
>>

> Could be done via p-a-s, I guess. However I see no reason to not ship amd64
> packages for ia32 (unless there are dependency issues) because you can
> install ia32 ubuntu on amd64 as well.

Well, there is no problem with 32bit packages on 64bit arch.
It's compiled with -m32, so we have  32bit  compilations for  amd64.
Regarding -m32 compiled libs,  they are sitting normally in /usr/lib32
and not in /usr/lib on amd64 releases.
The current package in revu but, is installing those -m32 compiled libs
to /usr/lib, which is not "correct" for this.

Therefore, we have two possibilities:

1. For 64bit archs, we compile with -m32, installing the libs to
/usr/lib32 and leaving the binary package names like they are on i386.
With this, we are running into problems in the future, when we ship as
well a  native windows64 supported version of wine on amd64
2. FOr 64bit archs, we compile with -m32, installing the libs to
/usr/lib32, when wine is dealing with windows64 compilation correctly,
we compile this as well, so we have native 64bit wine. with this, we are
shipping the windows64 wine in the binary packages wine and wine-dev and
shipping the -m32 compiled packages in wine32. We do this already for
some libs compiled on amd64 in native and -m32 mode.

That is the question.

Regards,

\sh