patches to wesnoth, or rather general issue with substvar handling

Gerfried Fuchs rhonda at debian.at
Tue Oct 23 15:34:24 BST 2007

        Hi!

[going as Bcc to the MOTUs which are listed in the changelog of wesnoth
explicitly]

 I just recently gone through the MOTU patches of wesnoth again, and
noticed one thing that looks pretty strange to me and one thing that is
just wrong and should get checked for other packages, too.

 The first thing is a redundant added dependency on libsdl1.2-dev. There
are already Build-Depends on libsdl-net1.2-dev, libsdl-mixer1.2-dev and
libsdl-image1.2-dev which all three of them depend on libsdl1.2-dev
itself so it really makes me wonder why that is needed or why it was
added. I don't expect the Ubuntu libsdl packaging being totally
different to the Debian one, so why this is needed is somehow out of my
reach.

 The other thing which is pretty nasty and can give you headaches in
cases you would need to do binary-only rebuilds without source changes
is a false usage of substvars: Any package, especially Arch: all
packages (in this case, wesnoth-all) that has a versioned dependency
on an Arch: any package (in this case, wesnoth, wesnoth-editor,
wesnoth-server) will have to use the ${binary:Version} instead of the
${source:Version} to not create troubles for such uploads.

 This thing propably won't need to get fixed for wesnoth because I plan
to introduce the wesnoth-all package in Debian too, suggested by
upstream (never heard anything about it from any MOTU that this patch is
hanging in there, though, which I would have expected out of courtsey
and getting changes pushed back upstream), but I thought I'd make you
aware of the issue in case this wrong approach is used in other MOTU
patches, too.

 So long, and thanks for keeping in touch. :)
Rhonda