cpufrequtils + i8kctl (+ gkrellm?) = cpu temp based throttling?

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Sun Oct 21 02:54:44 BST 2007

On Saturday 20 October 2007 21:39, Sai Emrys wrote:
> On 10/20/07, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com> wrote:
> > My point was that it works better for me with acpi=off.  It might for you
> > too.
>
> Understood, but I'm just confused about *what* exactly works better.
> As far as I can tell, for everything that gkrellm tries to do, it
> succeeds.
>
> AFAICT the bug pages you listed are about the fan not running at all -
> my fan does work. It's pathetic and it's a POS and poorly designed and
> everything still overheats... but strictly in terms of whether the
> blades are turning, it works. So I don't think I'm having the same
> issue you were, unless I'm misunderstanding the applicability of the
> bug or what improved when you did acpi=off.

In my case gkrellm didn't even know there was a battery installed when I was
using ACPI.  Since this is the only time I've used it, I've no idea if it's
because of the kernel bug I'm working around or if the two are inherently
incompatible.

Once I set acpi=off, I got good battery/power status.  Odds are it's not
applicable at all, but I mentioned it just in case as something potentially
worth looking in to.

Scott K