cpufrequtils + i8kctl (+ gkrellm?) = cpu temp based throttling?

Sai Emrys sai at saizai.com
Sun Oct 21 01:37:15 BST 2007

On 10/20/07, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com> wrote:
> You may have to boot with acpi=off for gkrellm to work.

gkrellm seems to work just fine. It loads the i8k plugin and the fan
speed control depending on cpu temperature works without a problem.
(The temperature *graph* is ugly, but I just have it turned off, and
don't consider that to be a real issue.)

It thinks I have two fans (I don't), but again, whatever; it uses 2
fans spinning = fan speed high, 1 fan spinning = fan speed low. Close
enough. :)

I don't see anything in gkrellm that indicates that it's *intended* to
be able to cpu-throttle based on temperature, so maybe if that's the
case then I'm just completely missing your point...?

- Sai