non-MOTU Hopeful contributions (was:: GetDeb Project (Why I participate))

Emmet Hikory emmet.hikory at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 17:10:21 BST 2007

   In recent discussion in -devel-discuss, there was the folllowing
excerpted exchange:

Am Mittwoch, den 17.10.2007, 10:19 -0400 schrieb Daniel Holbach:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/Recipes/PackageUpdate
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SponsorshipProcess
>
> It's really quite easy. If you think we could improve things by speeding
> them up somehow or explaining the process better, please let me know -
> I'm happy to help out and fix it.

    From this, I receive the impression that 1) the current available
documentation indicates that becoming MOTU is the appropriate
mechanism by which one contributes new packages or package updates, 2)
that our documentation is likely either difficult to navigate or
understand to someone unfamiliar with our culture / history / internal
mechanisms / something yet unidentified, and 3) that speeding up the
MOTU application process is desireable.

    Personally, I'd like to add greater stress on the mechanisms by
which individuals with irregular interest may contribute with new
packages and backports, although I'm not sure we have the
documentation so well organised.  What do others think: would there be
a benefit to getting more people to help with backports and new
software packaging where those people may not be interested in later
becoming MOTU, or engaging in the sustained and significant
contribution expected for members?

    Somewhat orthoganally, if it is appropriate to provide
documentation and encouragement to such individuals, and towards such
goals, is that something best done by MOTU generally, or would it make
sense for this effort to be spearheaded by a separate (but perhaps
overlapping) group?

    Also related, were such an effort to be undertaken (whether within
MOTU or alongside), how might the additional volume of Ubuntu-origin
packages (whether new software or new upstreams) affect MOTU efforts?
Is this something we can handle?  Do we have the necessary mechanisms
in place to make sure that Ubuntu-origin packages do not age without
attention?

    Separately, how do others feel about accelerating the process to
join MOTU?  Should it be relatively simple (people demonstrate they
can fix some bugs, have some basic packaging skills, and interact with
the MOTU community), or relatively complex (people demonstrate a
significant committment to sustained Ubuntu development, specific
interests and goals towards the improvement of Ubuntu, and have
already become a respected member of the Universe packaging /
development community (MOTU + possible future MOTUs + participatory
DDs & upstreams + casual universe developers)?  I can see benefits to
both sides, but have yet to see significant discussion on the topic
aside from "there's too much work: more people would help".

--
Emmet HIKORY