Proposing changes to multimedia stack

Stefan Potyra stefan.potyra at informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Wed Nov 21 10:28:58 GMT 2007

Hi,

Am Dienstag, 20. November 2007 21:55 schrieb Mario Limonciello:
[..]
> Well the thing is afaik that there are no source changes currently on the
> medibuntu package.  It's soley a mangling of configure flags.

Hm... that wouldn't make too much sense to me, allow a patent encumbered
source package but not patent encumbered binary packages *shrug*.

> > > In order to avoid confusion and the necessity of using
> >
> > Replaces/Conflicts,
> >
> > > a third virtual package binary that depends on either the free |
> >
> > non-free
> >
> > > variant can also be generated.
> >
> > Sorry I don't understand this right now. What would that virtual package
> > solve?
>
> This would allow all applications that depended upon ffmpeg to remain the
> same and not need debian/control mangling.  When ffmpeg was requested, the
> free variant would be installed by default.  If someone decided that they
> needed items from the non free variant, it would conflict with the free one
> but still satisfy ffmpeg (replacing the free one)

Ah, you're talking about the generated binary ffmpeg, whereas I was thinking
you would want to use some virtual packages for the generated libraries.
Sure, sounds sane.

Btw.: did you talk to siretart about this yet? I guess he could comment best
on it.

Cheers,
    Stefan.