Fast-track mentoring for lupine_85 and pricechild

Richard Bailey rmjb at mail.com
Sat Mar 17 15:52:47 GMT 2007

Speaking as another non-MOTU (but MOTU hopeful) I don't see a problem with
this fast tracking because it's a special case. Beryl is a high profile
project that a lot of eyes are looking for in the next release of Ubuntu. If
this fast tracking, at the request of Mark, can help to ensure tighter
integration between the Ubuntu project and the Beryl project then I don't
think it's a bad thing.

However, I think the opinions of the actual MOTUs are more important that
mine.

- Richard Bailey

On 3/17/07, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com> wrote:

> On Saturday 17 March 2007 10:20, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
> > Stefan Potyra wrote:
> > > Hi Mark,

> which

> packages
> the
> we

> > > to be honest, I'd like some feedback from MOTU on this topic first,
> thus
> > > I'm raising it on ubuntu-motu-ml. Can we move the discussion there?
> >
> > Certainly - that's a good idea.
> >
> > In essence I think it's worth fast-tracking MOTU membership when someone
> > is:
> >
> >  * a strong part of upstream, so likely to have good knowledge of the
> > package and how it should best be integrated into the distro
> >  * has some packaging experience, or is on a team which has people with
> > good packaging experience. In this case, Lupine_85 is producing good
> > quality Beryl packages already, and he and PriceChild are keen to get
> > those widely tested.
> >
> > It would be great if the MOTU council could codify that as a standard
> > policy!
> >
> > Mark
>
> Speaking as a relative newcomer (and a non-MOTU), I think this sets a
> dangerous precedent.  I went back and looked and I have brought eight
> either
> new packages or significantly updated packages to Feisty.  For seven of
> the
> eight, I believe that I meet the above criteria.
>
> As I understand it, Universe is group maintained by MOTU (and non-MOTUs
> like
> myself).  What this proposal would do is create a new sub-class of people
> with MOTU like rights, but only for specific packages.  This would
> undermine
> the group maintenance aspect of Universe.  In time, I predict it would
> pretty
> well do it in.  Once you start down this path, others will want it too.
>
> Additionally, I believe it solves a non-problem.  When I have had good
> packages to upload, the existing REVU process for non-MOTUs has generally
> cost me only a day or two when I was available to be up on IRC and work
> with
> the MOTU community.
>
> As long as the people bringing Beryl packages to Universe are willing to
> work
> with the exisitng MOTUs, it really isn't necessary for the to be MOTUs.
>
> I would imagine that if I had worked very hard to become a MOTU it would
> be
> incredibly de-motivating to see that same achievement given away to
> someone
> who hadn't earned it.
>
> Finally, I went and looked and I did not see any Beryl packages on REVU
> (current or archived) or at least no packages with the name beryl in them.
> If there were Beryl packages sitting there with no action for a long time,
> then this might be something worth considering.

> [...]

Reporter: What is your opinion on the obesity problem?
King: I prefer it to the famine problem
- Wizard of ID