Policy decisions / relationship between MC and MOTU Meeting

Stefan Potyra sistpoty at ubuntu.com
Wed Mar 7 19:05:40 GMT 2007

Hi,

On Wednesday 07 March 2007 19:08:07 you wrote:
> Hello guys,
>
> I thought about yesterday's SRU decision today and I think we should be
> more careful about that in the future. The decision has quite a big
> impact and we should try to make sure that we
>
>       * do that kind of decisions in a MC meeting
>       * let them follow the process of MC voting
>       * follow up with the TB, etc afterwards
>
> That way we don't get confused with MOTU and MC meetings and everybody
> respects meetings and institutions for what they are.

Well, I see this quite different. First of all we should make sure to make MC
stuff transparent, thus I'm raising this issue on the ubuntu-motu mailing
list.

Actually I was quite happy to see a big participation both in the discussion
and the resulting decision in yesterdays motu-meeting. IMO universe suffered
in the time before MC was established exactly from the lack of people taking
over responsibility.

Now seeing that there is interest within the MOTU community to not "just do
the work" but also raise voices in shaping universe is imo a healthy change.

I'm pretty confident that it's a good thing that MOTU's take over more
responsibility. I also believe that this won't result in bad decisions coming
out of motu-meetings: In case of a really bogus decision, MC could still
interfere, however I trust all MOTUs enough to know when to call for help or
defer an issue to MC.

However this brings up the question, what the relationship between MC and MOTU
meeting should be (as we actually never decided on that one yet;).

IMHO MC should step in exactly where MOTU meeting/discussions on the mailing
list will lead to no decision being taking, or at points that need attention
but nobody seems to care about.

What do you think?

Cheers,
    Stefan.