how to get a new version in repositories ?

Emmet Hikory emmet.hikory at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 00:27:14 BST 2007

On 6/3/07, Ouattara Oumar Aziz (alias wattazoum) <wattazoum at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been wondering how to add a new version of a software I am
> maintaining to Ubuntu repositories.

    The preferred method is to have the updated version of the
software in Debian, to benefit all Debian-derived distributions,
rather than just Ubuntu.  This is best accomplished by opening a bug
in the Debian BTS (1) or contacting the Debian maintainer.

> I am mostly interested in the process of doing this submission (who
> should I contact ? Is there some docs ? ) . So far the docs I have seen
> on Ubuntu wiki concerned patch proposal but I haven't seen anything
> about how a maintainer should propose his new version .

    There are no specific documents for software developers to
announce their new package, although there is some documentation on
how to create the package for the new version (2), and how to upload
the new version for review (3).

    If you wish to only announce the new version, for others to
package, I believe the best practice is to open a bug in Launchpad
(torcs has a nice example (4)), including the upstream changelog or
detailing issues fixed.  Adding the "upgrade" tag will make it easier
to find the bug, and more likely that someone will update the package.

(1) http://bugs.debian.org/
(2) https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/Recipes/PackageUpdate
(3) https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/Packages/REVU
(4) https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/torcs/+bug/99340