Future of REVU and Debian Mentors

Reinhard Tartler siretart at ubuntu.com
Mon Jul 30 14:54:43 BST 2007

Andy Price <andy-price at ubuntu.com> writes:
> At one point I was getting interested in developing REVU but I think I
> heard a rumour that launchpad was going to be used for reviewing
> packages in future. Is that true?

Personally, I don't think this will come in near future, if at
all. Therefore I feel that it makes sense to work on it in any case,
since this way, we can adapt it more easily to our needs.

Curently, my plan is rather to integrate it with PPAs. Currently, the
REVU2 specs says that it implements an apt-get'able repository. This
could be changed to "it uses an apt-get'able repository, just what the
PPAs provide".

You wouldn't upload then a package to revu, but submit a review
request. REVU would then download the source and register it. Then it
could visualise the contents of the package. This would solve the
following problems:

 * Traffic (tiber is making > 500g traffic a month)
 * hard drive space

> Also, I had reservations about how difficult it would be to test any
> changes I made to it. I guess if those  issues were cleared up I might
> be interested in doing some REVU coding again, if only to scratch some
> of my own itches.

I think REVU2 should be written as django application. Currently it
isn't, but this is mainly because I didn't have the motivation yet to
look into it more deeply.

Writing it as django application helps with the following problems:

 * easy setting up (uses internal webserver and sqlite database)
 * makes it possible to write a testsuite

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4