Merges - Pinging Previous Uploaders

Andy Price andy-price at ubuntu.com
Mon Jul 23 21:29:48 BST 2007

On 23/07/07 20:47, Jordan Mantha wrote:
> Both of these issues, IMO, can be handled via a common-sense "best practice",
> which should be written down in our merging documentation, rather than hard
> rules.

I've been coming to a similar conclusion as this thread has been
unfolding. Elbow room is a good thing.

> For 1), if you don't hear back from the last uploader in say 1-2 days *and*
> there is no merge/sync bug open for it then go ahead and go for it. This implies
> that if you do get an email and you're planning on merging the package you
> better reply. Also, it wouldn't hurt if MOTUs let ubuntu-motu know if they are
> going to be gone for a while. Additionally, if you are planning on a merge but
> it'll take a little while to get to it or you are waiting on something I think
> it's a good idea to file a merge/sync bug. That allows you to "lock" the merge
> and also allows people to follow up or add to it.

As much as I don't like waiting for 1-2 days for anything, I guess this
makes sense as a guideline.

> For 2), people doing a merge should really be looking at the package changelog.
> If I was going to merge a package that was uploaded 5 times in a row by ScottK
> then the last one was by Hobbsee it'd make sense to ping ScottK. If Hobbsee's
> merge looked like it made a lot of changes I could even CC/ping Hobbsee.

In this example, ScottK would likely know that Hobbsee was the
appropriate person to ping instead so it should be trivial as it would
unfold that way naturally.

So yes, I agree with noting "best practice"s in merge docs and not
defining it too rigidly.

--
Andy Price