usplash help please!

Kevin Long kevinl at safedesk.com
Fri Jul 20 20:42:14 BST 2007

Hello Motu folks, This is my first post. Im hoping to find some help
regarding usplash.

My end goal is this: To have a working usplash, based directly upon
usplash-theme-ubuntu, running on a debian-live (etch) system.

I have had various levels of success with different usplash versions, but
there is always something wrong, the screen displaying in black and white
with no progress bar, /dev/fb0 not being found, unresolved symbols, a
bunch of issues that are difficult to explain the exact root cause because
I have done so many different configurations and experimentation trying to
get this thing to work.

Without any editing of the PNG files whatsoever, I cant even get usplash
and usplash-theme-ubuntu to correctly work after compilation, even on
Ubuntu. I just reformmated my laptop with ubuntu again and I am going to
give it one more shot. Its possible that if I can get it to install and
work correctly on my laptop, I might be able to simply base my live system
off of the kernel and initramfs that comes with ubuntu instead of etch's
2.6.18 kernel and debian-live initrd.

If YOU were going to edit the PNG files for usplash-theme-ubuntu and
compile usplash with your custom theme on Etch, how would you go about it
so that it works just as well as Ubuntu's bootsplash?

Thank you!!!
Kevin Long

-
Kevin Long