Merges - Pinging Previous Uploaders

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Tue Jul 17 20:25:16 BST 2007

I've been thinking about this some more...

There are certainly a lot of packages where it really doesn't matter who does
the merge.  But, to pick a real example....

Look in debian/changelog for clamav.

By my count, since 3/31/07 there are 10 Ubuntu changelog entries.  Of those, 8
are from me (starting with a bugfix that made freshclam actually work), 1 is
from someone who was interested in learning to package and I helped them, and
one is StevenK's for the libcurl rebuild.

Because of the sequence of events (I got clamav 0.91 and 0.91.1 published in
Ubuntu without a merge from Debian) the standard merging scripts did not deal
well with merging 0.91.1-0ubuntu1 and 0.91.1-1.  Since I knew what needed to
be carried forward before I ever started, it took me about 5 minutes to
realize it needed a manual merge and get it done.

In addition, I've gotten it down to where the Debian/Ubuntu diff is:

-  su clamav -p -s /bin/sh -c ". /lib/lsb/init-functions && start_daemon
$DAEMON -d --quiet"
+  su clamav -p -s /bin/sh -c ". /lib/lsb/init-functions && start_daemon
$DAEMON $PIDFILE -d --quiet"

I don't claim any proprietary rights over the package, but I strongly feel
that if another MOTU/hopeful is going to do something with it, I've earned
the courtesy of a discussion before you do.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I think the "Don't bother to
ping" camp has it exactly backwards about teamwork and team maintenance.  It
seems quite odd to me that one would argue in favor of not communicating
within the team to improve teamwork.  Maintaining as a team should be about
working as a team (which means communicating).

Scott K