Merges - Pinging Previous Uploaders

Emmet Hikory emmet.hikory at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 11:10:15 BST 2007

On 7/15/07, Reinhard Tartler <siretart at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> I don't think that everyone is checking launchpad before doing
> merges. Mostly, I only check the MoM page and then use grab-source.sh to
> get them. Or I directly do 'apt-get source <package>'. Having to look at
> the lp whiteboard is another step complicating my workflow.

    I would think any use of grab-source.sh, apt-get source, or bzr
checkout without checking launchpad both dangerous and not best
practice for working as a team.  When touching a package for any
reason (merge, bugfix, rebuild, feature improvement, etc.), please
check the LP page to make sure there are no "In-Progress" bugs, as
otherwise it's easy to unexpectedly interact with others effort,
possibly requiring readjustment to match others changes, perhaps
causing others to readjust to match your changes, perhaps being a
duplication or work, and possibly involving conflicts due to changes
in similar places.  Additionally, checking the package bugs page may
provide some guidance on additional things that might be easy to fix
in the same upload, resulting in generally improved packages.

--
Emmet HIKORY