Merges - Pinging Previous Uploaders

Reinhard Tartler siretart at ubuntu.com
Sun Jul 15 10:42:58 BST 2007

Jordan Mantha <mantha at ubuntu.com> writes:

> I think I can get a whiteboard added to the
> launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/<package> page. I think putting notes in BZR
> is really suboptimal at this point because we have very few packages that
> use it. Putting info in a README.Ubuntu or something seems ok, but I'd like
> people to be able to see stuff *before* they grab the source.

I don't think that everyone is checking launchpad before doing
merges. Mostly, I only check the MoM page and then use grab-source.sh to
get them. Or I directly do 'apt-get source <package>'. Having to look at
the lp whiteboard is another step complicating my workflow.

This extra information would ideally be displayed while using these two
tools. It is not really important where they get their information from,
I just feel it is more practical to have that in the package than in
launchpad.

> So I see two issues:
>   1. Being able to "lock" a merge when you're working on it. This should be
> done via bug reports.

Ideally, on the commandline, like the resquestsync tool.

>   2. Some packages have tricky things or larger scale issues and we should
> have some way to share per-package information. I think a LP whiteboard
> could work for this.

FWIW, I prefer writing such documentations in a textfile, while working
on a package. Therefore I suggest that this information should go to
either debian/changelog, or debian/README.source.

And another point: It is already possible to have and use a whiteboard:
You can already link a package to a packaging branch, and that branch
already has a whiteboard ready for use.

Package not in bzr obviously don't profit from this. For those packages
it indeed makes sense to have a "source package whiteboard". But is this
the majority of packages we are talking about? I mean, we are talking
about packages which have special requirements and considerations to be
taken into account while merging. I think for those packages, it really
makes sense to record your steps while working, so the are more likeley
to be kept in bzr. At least, it would make more sense to do that than
for easier packages.

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4