Merges - Pinging Previous Uploaders

Reinhard Tartler siretart at ubuntu.com
Sat Jul 14 09:17:56 BST 2007

Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com> writes:
>> Other people's merges? Nobody "owns" anything in MOTU. We are a team. We
>> take care of Universe and whatever needs to be done. MOTU is the
>> maintainer, not individuals. If a merge is decently documented then there
>> should be *no* problem with another MOTU merging it later on for the vast
>> vast majority of packages. If there is then there's something else going
>> wrong.
>>
> I agree that nobody owns anything, but many/most/all of us have certain
> packages that we focus on.
>
> From a technical perspective I think you are right for most packages.  For me
> it's more about the exceptions and about respecting other's contributions/
> being polite.
>
> There's no way to really know what those exceptions are.  If familiarity with
> the package is essential to knowing how to merge it, someone who is
> unfamiliar is unlikely to understand the risks.

I think Emmet has given a proposal for this in Message-ID:
<9bd2f8970707132248o29a889afo3a68c7deb846b95 at mail.gmail.com>:

> If a package has special maintenance concerns, these should be
> documented in the packaging (e.g.: please use the VCS to update this
> package => XS-Vcs-* in debian/control, please be sure to adjust the
> seeds rather than manually changing dependencies => Depends:
> germinate, please check with $team regarding this packages, as there
> are deep interactions with $system => comment in
> README.Debian-source).

I think this is the way to go. If someone had done a larger amount of
work, he should record that work in a VCS (in ubuntu, we prefer
Bzr). apt nowadays gives a hint if a source package contains a XS-Vcs
package. This hint will be visible to literarily everyone.

If someone is doing a suboptimal merge (or syncs all changes away), then
we still have the vcs, where we can manually merge the package.

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4