Experiences with the new MOTU Mentoring process

Daniel Holbach daniel.holbach at ubuntu.com
Tue Jul 10 14:02:43 BST 2007

Hello everybody,

I'd like to stir up some discussion regarding the new MOTU Mentoring
process. It's in place now for 6 weeks and I made some observations
which I'd like to share:

Good:
      * better informed contributors
      * better collaboration across new contributors
      * awareness of need to improve documentation
      * several chunks of improved documentation
      * more packages and fixes entering Ubuntu
      * ...

Bad
      * avoidance of official processes
      * abuse of mentors as personal reviewers
      * ...

One possible outcome could be to just use the mentoring for:
      * making the new contributor feel comfortable using the proper
        mailing lists, IRC channels and wiki pages
      * run the new contributor through one review process
      * explain processes like sponsorship process etc

I think the best use of our time is to
      * base the sponsorship and review on as many shoulders as
        possible
      * make http://wiki.ubuntu.com/SponsorshipProcess and make
        http://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment/CodeReviews healthy and
        robust processes
      * improve documentation with every question we get asked by new
        contributors - maybe even ask to help with that task

Please let me know what you think about each point on the list and
please also let me know about your experiences in the mentoring process.

Thanks in advance, have a nice day,
 Daniel