Preparing the way for emacs22 with many individual package updates

Stephan Hermann sh at sourcecode.de
Fri Jul 6 07:44:12 BST 2007

Moins,

Am Donnerstag, den 05.07.2007, 17:10 -0400 schrieb Eric S. Raymond:
> Reinhard Tartler <siretart at ubuntu.com>:
> > If you have suggestion how to improve the documentation, let us
> > know. Where would you have expected documentation about
> > update-alternatives?
>
> This is not the kind of problem which can be solved with documentation.
> Requiring users to RTFM in situations like this is a confession of UI
> design failure.  See my mini-rant in response to Michael Olson.
>
> Would a Mac user, for example, ever have to RTFM to install such an
> update?

When a MAC user is using the underlaying BSD system, and want to use the
Ports system, he has to read the documentation. Just because you can use
a mouse to do some all-day-long tasks is not a reason to not read a
documentation. Reading documentation is a must, even for a coffee
machine or a microwave.

In this case, you should know about your tool of your choice. When you
use Debian, you should know something about the debian way (ubuntu is
debian based ;)). When you use SuSE, you should know something about
yast, when you use RedHat, you should know about the RHAT config
utilities.

Learning by doing is a nice way to solve some problems, but it's
timeconsuming. Knowing where to read about your problem before you start
"doing and learn" is much better ;)

> > > More generally, I'm a fairly heavyweight Emacs expert (author of a
> > > couple of the standard-library packages, among other things).
> > > Please consider me available for package testing.
> >
> > Okay, I'm currently uploading Michaels emacs22 package to my personal
> > package archive. They should appear soon there. You can use the
> > following apt line for installing them (as soon as they get published
> > and built on the build daemons):
> >
> > deb http://ppa.dogfood.launchpad.net/siretart/ubuntu/ gutsy main universe
> > deb-src http://ppa.dogfood.launchpad.net/siretart/ubuntu/ gutsy main universe
>
> Um, this doesn't look like a command.  Am I suppose to stuff it in a
> config file somewhere?  Sorry for my ignorance, I'm a recovering Fedora user.

man apt-get
sudo vi /etc/apt/sources.list
add those lines, <ZZ>
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install <package>

I wonder what fedora is using as a repository package manager (not rpm,
this is equivalent to dpkg) but I thought they are using smart or yum as
package manager, no?

Regards,

\sh
--